Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Publisher: Hyperion, May 2008

# of pages: 400

Source: Library

Edition: Hardcover

Genre: Young Adult

Rating: C+

Summary:

Phoebe is just your typical goth girl with a crush. He’s strong and silent…and dead.

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is happening. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. They are coming back to life, but they are no longer the same—they stutter, and their reactions to everything are slower. Termed "living impaired" or "differently biotic," they are doing their best to fit into a society that doesn’t want them.

Fitting in is hard enough when you don’t have the look or attitude, but when almost everyone else is alive and you’re not, it’s close to impossible. The kids at Oakvale High don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the differently biotic from the people who want them to disappear—for good.

With her pale skin and Goth wardrobe, Phoebe has never run with the popular crowd. But no one can believe it when she falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids. Not her best friend, Margi, whose fear of the differently biotic is deeply rooted in guilt over the past. And especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has just realized his feelings for Phoebe run much deeper than just friendship. He would do anything for her, but what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?


Review:

I really wish I liked this book more than I did! It took me forever to read, a week and a half I believe... which is usually kind of long for me.

The concept was really interesting and I was so excited to read it, but the plot just didn't do it for me. Nothing really caught my interest enough to make me keep reading, I basically just kept reading because I have to review Passing Strange, which is the 3rd book in the series and I'd really like to be updated on the first two books.

The characters were fun and lovable, but I didn't have that connection that I wish to have with every character I read about. Phoebe was strong and I liked that, but her personality was just as boring as the color of all of her clothes, black.

I know this is a short review and I'm sorry for that, but I honestly have nothing else to say about this book. I hope I like the second one better!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest review! I'm actually enjoying this one. It's different and interesting. I wonder how the next one will play out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to admit, I checked this one out one time and only got in 50 pages before I took it back to the library. It just never caught my interest, sadly. Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have read the third book, and I really loved it. The characters where great and the story line very unique. I am planning to get the first two books asap. Sorry to hear that it wasn't really good. Still I am interesting to read it. Great and honest review.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!