Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dreamland

Sarah Dessen
Published 2004
256 Pages
Rating: B


Strange, sleepy Rogerson, with his long brown dreads and brilliant green eyes, had seemed to Caitlin to be an open door. With him she could be anybody, not just the second-rate shadow of her older sister, Cass. But now she is drowning in the vacuum Cass left behind when she turned her back on her family's expectations by running off with a boyfriend. Caitlin wanders in a dream land of drugs and a nightmare of Rogerson's sudden fists, lost in her search for herself.
(taken from online source)


I've read and reread all of Sarah Dessen's books, but this is by far her most different, controversial, and difficult books to read. It starts off with Caitlin, she has just found out that her older sister Cass has ran away (even though she is 18). Despite it being Caitlin's birthday, her parents are in utter astonishment. Cass may be gone, but she left Caitlin a present..a beautiful dream journal (it has some symbolism that will come into play more as the book progresses). Cass was the perfect daughter, straight A's, great boyfriend, good at sports, and the one who was always calm in difficult situations. Caitlin is amazed to find that her older, more discplined sister has ran away, and with her newest boyfriend no less. No address to where she will be staying, no phone number, no nothing, she's gone...just like that.

Caitlin, who has always been in Cass's shadow now stands out like a sore thumb. She is the girl whose sister ran away, the one that isn't that good in school, or at sports, or even with guys. But her best friend, Rina, wants to make the best of this unfortunate situation. She wants Caitlin to finally step into herself and try new things, thus Rina and Caitlin end up joining the cheer leading team at their high school. One night after a game, she meets Rogerson at a car wash. That night is the starting point for Caitlin's fast downward spiral, but its impossible to tell that at first...you just have to keep reading. Caitlin and Rogerson both depend on one another, although not always for good reasons.

There is a lot of underage drinking, smoking pot, and some pretty hard to read things in this book. It takes you on a journey of a teenage girl that is just trying to find her place in the world now that her older sister is gone. Caitlin gets herself into some deep situations, but she neither admits to her faults nor acknowledge's them after a while. This book is a fast read, although it deals with some heavy stuff, I think that girls everywhere could read this book and get something out of it.

The one thing that I did and didnt like was the ending. You finally get more information on her sister, and the relationship that Caitlin and Cass now share. But Caitlin never fully lets go of Rogerson and I still find myself wondering what ever happened to him. Sorry for the very 'all over the place' review, but I dont want to give anything away, and the fact that its 11pm right now isnt really helping my mental state.

All in all, read it, especially if you like Sarah Dessen, or more emotional books.

-Arielle

9 comments:

  1. I love this book! I definitely agree that girls could get something out of this book. I read it years and years ago, and it was the first I had read on the topic, so it was pretty eye-opening.

    As for what happens to Rogerson, I'm pretty sure he shows up in another book and they mention what happened to him briefly.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review :) and it looks really good :) will be adding it to my book list! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison: Really he shows up in another book!? I've read all of her books and I dont remember him in another one..but now I'm curious! I may just have to reread all her other books now. lol.

    Catriona: Thanks! I hope you like it!!

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aeielle, you won box 2 of my contest. If you do not want it (maybe you arent really into the romancy titles that were in it) I'd gladly ship you a few surprise arcs and pass it onto someone else, its up to you! I know not everyone likes those kind of books, and likes YA books instead! Just shoot me an email and let me know! Have a few arcs left over from box 1 and 3 that the peeps did not want.

    cnhand84 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it wasn't a major thing, but I'm pretty sure he was mentioned. I want to say that it was somewhere in Lock & Key, like Ruby went to a party or something and he was there. It's been a while since I read it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh hmm..now that you say that I vaguely remember it happening. Interesting. I love that Sarah Dessen incorporates her old characters into new books. Its fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeh he's in Lock & Key, I'm reading it just now! And I found it all strange when I realised they were the same person! He lives with Marshall, Ruby's sort of boyfriend, and she mentions thats where she got her drugs from when she was at her original school :)
    Hope this answers your questions!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man! Duh! Thank you so much Catriona! That helps a lot! lol. I dont know how I missed that and forgot about it! I guess I have to read Lock & Key again! ha. Thanks again! :)

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. i felt the same thing about this book... it was the most difficult to read out of all her books just because it was about abuse and stuff like that.. and i still wonder what ever happened to him... **slaps herself** i just read the above comments and do remember him in lock and key lol

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!